Ah, online learning. Kids may be doing their lessons over Zoom or online classes these days, but they need the same memory and brain power to perform at their best. The question, however, is this: can you really improve your memory naturally? If yes, HOW?
Is It Possible to Improve Your Memory?
It has happened to the best of us: forgetting where you left your keys, getting paranoid over the possibility of keeping the door unlocked, or getting blanked out over information on important school tests.
Come to think of it, memories are an integral part of who we are. They form our internal biographies, which according to Harvard Health are the stories we tell ourselves about what we have done or the lives we have lived. Memories clue us in on our connections, relationships, aspirations, motivations, and direction in life. They are important in our essence as a human being.
Thus, age-related memory loss can be a way to lose a part of ourselves. This makes declining thinking and memory skills a major fear among many people as they age. In perfectly healthy individuals, there are ways to get more out of their memory, whether for high exam grades or outstanding performance at work.
The good news is it’s possible to improve your memory. There’s a wealth of techniques to do this, so keep posted.
Memory Enhancement for Studying
- Enhance your concentration. Boost your memory by boosting your concentration. For younger, school-age individuals, focus and concentration can be quite a challenge because of the many stimuli around, especially when you’re trying to complete tasks. Improve concentration by doing brain or cognitive training, eating a diet rich in healthy fats and wholesome food, sleeping right, and getting regular exercise.
- No to cramming, yes to structure and getting organized. According to research, information is organized in memory in related clusters. You can use this to your advantage by structuring your study materials, where you group similar concepts together. It also helps to create an outline of notes and readings to group related concepts together. It also pays to avoid cramming – students who study regularly are more likely to remember the material better than those who go on study marathon sessions.
- Use acronyms, mnemonics, and image-name associations. Form patterns and words with the information your need to remember. For instance, associate the first letter of each item with a word or phrase, or your favorite food or hobbies. Use positive imagery or humor to make it more effective. You may also recall names better by associating them in a unique manner. Having a hard time remembering the names of presidents? Link a facial feature with their name.
- Rehearsal is key. In recalling information, you have to encode the subject of your study into long-term memory. One effective way to do this is via elaborative rehearsal. What this means is you, for instance, read the definition of a key term, study that definition, and read a more detailed description of what the term means. Repeat this process a couple of times and notice your information recall getting better.
- Say it out loud! Studies show that reading something out loud can significantly enhance your memory of the material. Education experts have also realized that having students teach new ideas and concepts to others can enhance understanding and recall. This approach works so well by getting a study partner and teaching them new things.
Learning Is Not Just About Memorizing…
Improving memory and focus for studying, while important, is only part of the picture. You need to build a good internal environment to be able to learn well. This means building healthy habits to build a better self, such as getting enough sleep every day to rest your brain, allow your tissues to rebuild and rejuvenate, and create conditions that are conducive to memorization, better understanding, and increased focus.
The jury might still be out when it comes to the best brain supplements for kids, but helping school children with a high-quality brain pill can support healthy brain function and sharpen their minds for their tasks ahead.
Interestingly, brain supplements known as nootropics may also address the distractions and constant mental stimulation that can leave the brightest and most brilliant child unmotivated, bored, or uninterested in learning new things. Children face so many things in today’s world, including mood swings and the pressures of fitting in with other students, so they need all the support they can get in memory improvement as well as optimal brain enhancement.
It’s fairly easy to explore nootropics these days for better mood, focus, concentration, and motivation to study. However, make sure to take a long, hard look at the quality of the supplement as well as its safety value.
Keep posted for more brain and memory enhancement tips and advice – building a better you, after all, means building a healthier and sounder brain.